08 October 2007

Bigfoot Shawl


Bigfoot Shawl
Originally uploaded by Mary The Digital Knitter

As you can see, I'm making some progress. I've finished ten repeats of the four-row body pattern. I'm almost to the end of the second ball of yarn, which means I'm at least half done. The pattern call for continuing until it's 16 in. long but that seems just a bit too short to me. I've been playing around with a tape measure and I think I want to go longer.

Notice how the edge is scalloping itself. There's no need to add a border; instead just a plain bind-off works just fine. I picked up a great bind-off from Cat Bordhi, in her Moebius Scarf patterns. It's very simple, you just knit two stitches together, return the new stitch to the left needle, knit two together, repeat. I like it because it's loose but it doesn't distort the fabric.

This yarn, Knit Picks Gloss (70% merino, 30% silk) is a real pleasure to work with. As you can see, it's got really nice stitch definition. I'm waiting on the undyed version to be back in stock, which is predicted for 22 Oct. I'm going to knit a christening shawl for my friend's grandchild, who will arrive in the spring. (I'm also going to make a more practical superwash baby blanket.) I already have some Knit Picks natural 100% merino fingering weight yarn for the christening shawl but the silk really makes a difference. Since this shawl is, traditionally, used for the baptism and then put away until the child marries, at which time the bride wears it, the subtle shine from the silk will be nice.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the shawl! And I hate that you had to frog it. :(

Happens to me all the time.

I've just started knitting a new layette set - a "rabbit set" out of a very old book I have. It called for a Phildar baby yarn that hasn't been manufactured for at least 15 years, so I am substituting a Plymouth yarn for it - Dreambaby, a fingering weight soft cashmere yarn. It's a dream to work with, maybe that's why it was called "dreambaby".

But, the pattern calls for the size 0 and 1 needles, so what a s l o w project. I'll be 80 by the time I finish the 1 1/2 ribbing.

Anyway, I had to "tag" you for this stupid meme thing, but that's ok, because I hadn't been here in a couple of days, anyway, and I got to catch up.

http://thedarwinexception.wordpress.com/2007/10/20/perpetuate-the-madness/

Kim