14 August 2007

Leaf Lace Shawl


Leaf Lace Shawl
Originally uploaded by Mary The Digital Knitter

What can I say? More lace. Another shawl. I'm in a rut.

With this project I have been reminded that I don't like lace weight yarn and I do like the pointy Boye Needlemaster tips for knitting lace. This is a brand new pattern for me, Fiber Trends Leaf Lace Shawl, but I've had the yarn, Knit Picks Shimmer in Turquoise Splendor, for several years. Just waiting for the right person and pattern.

I've got thirty rows done now and I'll probably add another thirty by bedtime if all goes well. I have my annual dentist appointment tomorrow and I probably won't take it with me. A book works better in that recliner chair he uses.

My order from Elann arrived this morning, with this pattern, and five different yarns. I got ten balls each of three colors of Rowan Cashsoft 4-Ply and Elann Peruvian Baby Silk and five balls of Elann Canapone, This last is 100% hemp in a heavy lace weight and the color is Green Tea. If it works out well, I'm going to get more while they still have it.

The Rowan Cashsoft was a real bargain. It's not the current version, having more microfiber and less merino, so it was a real bargain ($4.25 per ball). It's selling like hotcakes and they're down to just four colors after only a week. It's machine washable and I've got more baby blankets to knit (everyone seems to be having babies!) so I snapped it up. Two strands knits up as worsted weight, meaning the blankets will go fairly fast.

By the way, this shawl is a direct result of my trying to get my stash photographed for Ravelry. I came across the yarn and was taken by its pretty colors and its soft, luxurious feel (it's baby alpaca and silk). When I unpacked the pattern and read the yarn requirements (lace, fingering, sport, and DK, in two sizes each) I realized that these two skeins of yarn had found their purpose in life. It doesn't hurt that I have a friend who likes turquoise and needs a shawl.

2 comments:

Christina said...

I love you leaf lace shawl! I bought the pattern last week and I am planning on making the shawl with white hempathy. Question: What size needles are you using?--chris

yarnahoy said...

Very pretty colors. I'm sure that will make a lovely shawl!
:)