22 April 2007

Technology Is Winning This Week

My Usenet reader, Forté Agent, played a dirty trick on me earlier this week and I'm struggling with it. It lost all the message list information for my favorite newsgroup, alt.fan.cecil-adams. That wouldn't have been so bad except that I was about 20,000 messages behind already. However, losing every message is a bad way to catch up.

I dinked around with various suggested fixes but finally dug out my hard disk that had the Agent data files backed up in February or so. I copied that data folder over, getting rid of everything I'd done since then. Then I downloaded all the messages that the servers had between then and now. It's almost done, maybe another fifteen minutes. Then I'm going to have to go mark huge chunks of messages as read so I can get back to where I was before this happened. What a pain!

I'm worried about my Forest Canopy Shoulder Shawl. I'm halfway through the second skein and I don't think it's going to be large enough. It's not the fault of the pattern's author, though, it's mine. I wanted something bigger than a shoulder shawl and I wanted to use the Cherry Hill Yarns 50/50 merino and silk. I'm going to snap a few photos and then put it aside for a bit. I'll probably start another lace shawl, though.

Oh, yeah, that's the other victory for technology. I'm still having trouble with my camera and my laptop cooperating. I'm going to take some photos of two finished scarves for Iowa so I can mail them off Monday, whether I get them uploaded here or not. They're beautiful; one's Morehouse Farm bulky merino in berry colors and the other is navy merino/cashmere blend from Lion Brand, knitted in the Argosy scarf pattern.

So don't worry. As soon as I subdue the upstart technology, normalcy will return.

No comments: